Saving Coral Reefs One Coral At A Time | AARP
A Breakthrough for Coral Reef Restoration, The Atlantic
Giving dead reefs new life with fast-growing corals, PBS
This Start Up Wants to Plant a Million Corals” World Economic Forum
Print Media about Micro-fragmentation
Sarasota Harold-Tribune: Scientist hopes to bring affordable land-based coral nurseries to the Caribbean
Forbes – Plant a Million Project Hits 100,000 Mark in Mission to Produce Fast- Growing, Resilient Corals -June 2021
- 2017 The Parker/Gentry Award, For Excellence in Conservation/Environmental Biology, The Field Museum
- 2008, Eugenie Clark Scientific Explorer Award, Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium
Peer-reviewed Journals about Dr. David Vaughan and coral micro-fragmentation
Microfragmenting for the successful restoration of slow growing massive corals- Ecological Engineering, Volume 123, November 2018, Pages 86-94
Publications by Dr. Vaughan
- Vaughan, David E. “in final preparation for 2020”, Edited Book, “Active Reef Restoration: Technologies for a Changing Planet”, J.J.Ross Pub.
- Vaughan, D., Teicher, S., Halpern. G. and Oliver, J. 2019. Building more resilient coral reefs through new marine technologies, science, and models. Marine Technology Society Journal Vol 53:5
- Page, C., Muller, E., and Vaughan D. 2018 Microfragmenting for the successful restoration of slow growing massive corals. Ecological Engineering 123: 86-94
- Forsman, Z, C.Page, R. Toonen and D.Vaughan. 2015. Growing coral larger and faster: micro-colony fusion as a strategy for accelerating coral cover PEERJ 1313 https://peerj.com/articles/1313/
- Vaughan, D.E. 2014 A Quest to regrow a coral reef. In The New York Times, November 25, Vol CLXIV No. 56,696 https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/25/science/a-lifesaving-transplant-for-coral-reefs.html
- Leber, K., Vaughan, D.E., Moe, Martin and Page C 2015. Investigation of causal factors of inhibition of larval rudiment formation and metamorphosis in a key herbivore, Diadema anitllarum Final report, Protect Our Reefs Grant Program
- Page, C., and Vaughan, D.E. 2013. Reskinning of reef building coral skeleton: novel approach to mortality and increasing OA. Final Report, Protect Our Reefs Grant Program. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4614846/
- Leber, K., Vaughan, D.E., Moe, Martin and Page.C. 2013. Development of the final larval and settlement methods under Ocean Acidification Conditions on stages of Diadema. Final Report, Protect Our Reefs Grant Program
- Hall, E., Vaughan, D.E., and Crosby, M. 2012. Development of Ocean Acidification Flow thru Experimental Raceway System. 12th International Coral Reef Symposium.
- Davis, M., Main, K., Vaughan, D. and Creswell, L. 2000. Aquaculture in the Bahamas: A New Outlook. Report submitted to the Bahamas Government, 78p.
- Scarpa, J., Allen, S.E. and Vaughan, D.E. 1999. Freshwater culture of the marine shrimp, Penaeus vannamei, Aquaculture America, Tampa Florida.
- Scarpa, J. and D.E. Vaughan. 1998. Culture of the marine shrimp, Penaeus vannamei, WAS, Las Vegas, Nevada .
- Schukert, K.J., Brown, K., Scarpa, J., Wright, A. and Vaughan, D. 1997. Evaluation of culture conditions for a tunicate, Ectieinascidia turbinata, producing antitumor compounds. WAS.
- Sturmer, L.N. and D.E. Vaughan. 1997 Florida Hard Clam Aquaculture Production: An Emerging Industry. Journal of Shellfish Research 16: 313.
- Davis-Hodgkins, M., M. Ednoff and D.E. Vaughan. 1997. Aquaculture Development Park: Industry, Training and Support Programs. Journal of Shellfish Research 16: 312.
- Davis-Hodgkins, M., J. Scarpa and D.E. Vaughan. 1997. Training Aquaculturalists for the 21st Century: Harbor Branch’s Aquaculture Education and Training Programs. Journal of Shellfish Research 16: 285.
- Vaughan, D.E., E. Quesenberry, J. Scarpa and M. Ednoff. 1997. Florida Shellfish Culture Training Programs and Their Benefits. Journal of Shellfish Research 16: 277.
- Vaughan, D., A. Davis-Hodgkins, M. Ednoff, J. Scarpa and P. Van Wyk. 1997. How Do You Train Fishermen to be Aquaculturalists? Harbor Branch’s Aquaculture Training and Education Programs. Island Aquaculture and Tropical Aquaculture – Martinique 97, European Aquaculture Society, pp. 310-311.
- Scarpa, J., L. Sturtner, E. Quesenberry, R. Longley and D. Vaughan. 1996. Performance of triploid oysters, Crassostrea virginica, grown by Project O.C.E.A.N. Participants. Journal of Shellfish Research 15: 512-513. (Abstract)
- Scarpa, J., D.E. Vaughan and R. Longley. 1995. Induction of Triploidy in the Eastern Oyster Crassostrea virginica using 6-DMAP. Journal of Shellfish Research 14: 277.
- Sturmer, L.N., E. Quesenberry, J. Scarpa and D.E. Vaughan. 1995. Development of a Shellfish Aquaculture Industry on the West Coast of Florida. Journal of Shellfish Research 14: 279.
- Vaughan, D., R.L. Creswell, and J. Scarpa. 1994. Compilation of methods for identifying marine products. Alan Pierce, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
- Thunberg, E.M., R.N. Wledon, H. Thomforde and D.E. Vaughan. 1992. Marine Aquaculture Enforcement: Passing the Buck. Journal of Shellfish Research 11: 177-182.
- Adams, C., J.C. Cato, J.E. Easley, S. Kemp, W. Manhan, J.J. Manzi, M. Osterling, R. Pomeroy, E. Thunberg, D. Vaughan and R. Walker. 1991. Investing in Commercial Hard Clam Culture: A Comprehensive Guide to the South Atlantic States, Fla. Sea Grant. 128 pp. David E. Vaughan (cont.)
- Gustafson, R.G., R.L. Creswell, T.R. Jacobsen and D.E. Vaughan. 1991. Larval biology and mariculture of the angel wing clam, Cyrtopleura costata. Aquaculture 95: 257-279.
- Creswell, L., D.E. Vaughan and L. Sturmer. 1991. Manual for the Cultivation of the American Oyster, Crassostrea virginica, in Florida. AMDAP Aquaculture Report Series, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Tallahassee, Florida 50pp.
- Vaughan, D.E., L. Creswell and L. Sturmer. 1990. Aquaculture technology transfer to the oyster industry in Apalachicola Bay, Florida. J World Aquaculture Society 21(4).
- Sturmer, L.N., L. Creswell and D.E. Vaughan. 1990. Preliminary data on subtidal cultivation of oysters using the flexible belt system in Apalachicola Bay, Florida. J World Aquaculture Society 21(4).
- Tan Tiu, Antonieto, David Vaughan, Thomas Chiles, and Kimon Bird. 1989. Food value of eurytopic microalgae to bivalve larvae of Cyrtopleura costata, Crassostrea virginica and Mercenaria mercenaria. Journal of Shellfisheries Research.
- Pardee, Marsha G., Kimon T. Bird and David E. Vaughan. 1989. Field Growout and Economic Analysis of Mercenaria mercenaria in the Indian River Lagoon. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
- Vaughan, D. E., Kimon T. Bird, R. Leroy Creswell and Marsha Pardee. 1989. Manual for Growing the Hardshell clam in Florida. Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
- Vaughan, D. E. 1989. Clam Culture: State of the Art in Florida. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
- Vaughan, D. E., Antonieto Tan Tiu, Kimon T. Bird and Thomas C. Chiles. 1989. Influence of Temperature on Chemical Composition of Tropical Microalgal Species. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
- Tan Tiu, Antonieto and D. E. Vaughan. 1988. Food value of tropical microalgae to Mercenaria mercenaria larvae. Jour. Shell. Res. 7(1): 206.
- Gustafson, R. G., D. E. Vaughan and J. H. Ryther. 1988. Experiments in the artificial rearing of the angel wing clam, Cyrtopleura costata. a potential aquaculture species. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society .
- Vaughan, D. E. and R. M. Baptiste. 1988. Field nursery of the hard clam, Mercenaria mercenaria, using floating upwellers. Journ. Shell. Res. 7(l): 207 .
- Vaughan, D. E. and J. R. Ryther. 1988. Field nursery production of hard clam (Mercenaria mercenaria) seed, 19th Ann. Meet. World Aqua. Assoc., Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Vaughan D. E. 1982. Comparison of the submerged aquatic vegetation of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey from 1977-1982. Center for Coastal and Environmental Studies. Rutgers University.
- Vaughan, D. E. 1982. Production ecology of eelgrass (Zostera marina) and its epiphytes in Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. Ph.D. Thesis. Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey. 142 pp.
- Vaughan, D. E. and R. E. Good. 1982. Production of the epiphyte component of an eelgrass (Zostera -marina) community in Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. Bulletin of the New Jersey Academy of Science. 27:1
- Vaughan, D. E. and R. E. Good. 1981. Production Ecology of Eelgrass in Little Egg Harbor. Bulletin of the New Jersey Academy of Science 26:2